Follow Me

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

How to: Cheap and Easy Way To Clean Makeup Brushes

Hey Guys!

Recently, I've realised how much I have been neglecting my makeup brushes and that is not ok. As a fellow makeup lover, I know makeup brushes are the soul appliance in order to apply my makeup and in order to do that, it is a must that they are constantly looking their best. I've realised now that cleaning your makeup brushes on a regular basis is key to the perfect application and the perfect skin. Did you know dirty makeup brushes can cause your skin to break out? I certainly wasn't aware of this before I became an avid makeup lover. If you're like me and can never seem to find the time to clean your makeup brushes, then this should really help you. 

How To: Cheap and Easy Way To Clean Makeup Brushes
I know for me personally, when I first really got into makeup I had no clue how to clean my brushes! Heck, I didn't even know you had to clean your brushes! I thought, along with everything else in the makeup industry, it would be extremely expensive but I was completely wrong on both accounts. Everything I needed, I conveniently had within my own house and I had no reason to go splashing out on expensive brush cleaner or the need to buy new brushes. If you learn how to clean your brushes properly, then they can last you a lifetime!



What You Need

Makeup Brushes

It's a given that in order to clean your makeup brushes, you need to have your makeup brushes. I have many different kinds of makeup brushes which I've been collecting throughout my time of makeup loving, so my makeup brushes vary. You may ask, do I clean foundation brushes differently to blush brushes? The answer is no. This was my first concern as I thought that as they were all completely different brushes, they may need to be cleaned differently and as someone who already lacks time to clean a single brush, having to chop and change my cleaning products would have been a nightmare, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the cleaning was the same no matter the brush type.

A Bowl/Plate // Soap // Cotton Pads // Makeup Remover

 In order to clean your makeup brushes, you require a Bowl/Plate which you are able to fill with water and your other products, such as your Makeup Remover (preferably liquid), your Soap and your Olive Oil. You will also need Cotton Pads and a Towel in order to both wipe and try your brushes.

  1. Put a reasonable amount of Makeup Remover into the bowl/plate along with a drop of Olive Oil.
  2. Take the first brush in need of cleaning and dip it into the bowl and, using a wet Cotton Pad, apply some Soap to the Cotton Pad and swirl the brush over the pad. 
  3. Repeat this until the water runs clear from the brush when ran under a tap of hot water. 
  4. Also repeat this with all your brushes until your collection is pristine and ready to be used. 
  5. Dap the ends of the brushes with a towel and leave to dry. 

Olive Oil



I hadn't heard of this until I had done my research and found that Olive Oil is perfect when cleaning brushes in order to keep them conditioned and well maintained. It reconditions the bristles after they have been stripped from their oils during the cleaning process and will keep them in their best condition. I guess you do learn something new every day! 











Thank you so much for reading this and I hope it helps you when it comes to your makeup brush maintenance! 
Also, I've made an El inspired Facebook Page, so be sure to check it out! 

Mwah xx

.